God's approval is enough!

October 7-8, 2010

Many of you can likely relate to having a week where a series of unexpected and unforeseen circumstances completely detoured your plans - while temporary - these circumstances can certainly distract you from what you were focused on - and in many cases, push you into double mindedness, self doubt, and negative thinking. That is the primary purpose for why God provides us with prayer - and the opportunity to engage fervently in communication with Him and His word - so that we do not allow a series of circumstances to steal us away from what we are called to be focused on.

What circumstances can you think of that maybe caused you to detour a bit this week from what you know you needed and were called to focus on improving or achieving? For me, the greatest challenge was that my little man was sick for four days. He needed all of my time and attention. I had to put aside my planner and answer those needs. Another unexpected but a bit more trivial event was that my Aflac writing number got delayed several more days than what was forecasted, so I had to put alot of business on hold. This was upsetting, because I was looking forward to getting paid this week rather than having to sit through another week without reward for my work. I also had so much momentum from all of the excitement from last week interviewing with the Joyce Meyer Ministries team and without realizing it, I created some sort of unspoken expectation that those doors would open this week and options would become a bit clearer. When that did not happen, my focus and energy went from taking one day at a time and receving wisdom through prayer - to one of over analyzing everything I said, did, what if this, what if that. And the consequence is that I was not spending time trusting Him and in prayer like I need to be in these moments.

Yes, here you can see that the little things, like how we spend our mornings, really do turn into the big things. The small choices I made each morning this week to not stay focused on my commitment to my time alone in prayer and seeking wisdom through His word equalled almost an entire week - feeling lost, confused, impatient and anxious - all because I did not stay focused on a simple thing like the importance of prayer time.

Yesterday, when I realized this, I made sure that as soon as James went down for a nap it would be time to focus on prayer and reading. This commitment never fails to produce exactly what the Lord knows that I need to get back on track and be the wife, mother, and friend that I am called to be. He led me to the story of Nehemiah. In this story, I live through an experience of a man who knew God called him to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem, which was an impossible task in everyone's mind. Nehemiah chose to focus on the only thing that mattered - God called and approved this task - and he never looked back. Did you know that it took Nehemiah's leadership and team 12 years to achieve this? One key reason Nehemiah succeeded and sustained influential leadership capability is because he received a clear purpose from the Lord and never moved away from it. A second factor in his success was his boldness to engage in prayer spontaneously, and not just alone, but with members of his team and those around him that he knew needed prayer as well. God showed favor on these efforts by building a team for Nehemiah that was as focused as he was on seeing God's plan through. Here we learn how important the counsel of others that share an understanding of a relationship with Christ is - and how critical it is that we surround ourselves with positive support. Also, think about how Nehemiah's spontaneous prayer can be used in your daily life. Do you know how powerful it would be in your workplace - or in your church - if we all just started praying over every recognizable obstacle or need - as it came to our minds? The reason most of us do not behave this way is we are afraid that others will think we are weird. Well, thank goodness Nehemiah was bold and filled with the spirit of courage, otherwise the walls would have never been rebuilt. What walls and victories need to be rebuilt around you? How can you pray - more boldly - and spontaneously to begin building those walls?

One thing that I have learned by making such a drastic change in our life - and our circumstances - is you sure learn quickly who your real friends are. Surprised at all? No, but certainly lonely at times as I experience this journey - there really are very few people that I feel I can share the details with. In Nehemiah 4:6 the word says, "for the people had a mind to work"... W O W - this verse really blows me away!!! Everything that we are called to do - once we have a clear purpose - we must follow that purpose with a mind that focuses on that work - and find people that share this same mindset who can help see it through. Also, through prayer, we have to believe that God will provide us with a team to help us carry it out. Once the purpose and the team are in force, all you have to do is "stand firm" - as promised in James 4:7. Stand firm knowing that God's call - His approval - is enough - and never spend any energy or time on what others say, do, or think. Nehemiah never dignified the opposition with responses or his time.

When the armies threateneed to tear down any progress - he simply built up his team with armor and confidence - through prayer teaching them to believe that nothing is bigger than God. In verse 4:16 "So it was, from that time on, that half of my servants worked at construction, while the other half held the spears, the shields, the bows and wore armor, and the leaders were behind all the house of Judah. Those who built on the wall, and those who carried burdens, loaded themselves so that with one hand they worked at construction, and with the other held a weapon". WHAT determination. Solutions minded with a commitment to work. You will know who the people are that truly believe in what you are called to do - you will know them by their willingness to communicate with you and be part of your effort. Everything outside of that should dissolve from your mind and your energy so that you can "stand firm".

Lord, today I pray that the clear purpose you have drawn for me be carried out with these key things in mind - and practiced every moment in everything I do, that I not lose sight of them: spontaneous prayer is required and bears fruit; Your approval is enough and all I need; I must have the mind to work; and above all, upon this foundation I will stand firm through all adversity, circumstances, and press through.

Comments

Popular Posts