Discipline To Sow - Making Choices that create blessings and not consequences

September 29, 2010

As many of you, today I have many things and thoughts on my mind. This morning in my alone time with God, I was reading about discipline in the next chapter of Joyce Meyer's "Never Give Up". For some reason, I started reminiscing about the bible drill classes my mom used to make me and my sister attend once a week. Every Sunday before evening service after choir practice, my sister and I had to learn scriptures and then compete with a team to locate the books of the Bible and put our finger on the scriptures as they were called out. I hated having to go to bible drill. My mom continued to press on me about practice and discipline will pay off. She was right! My sister and I led our age divisions every year and we were unbeatable. That discipline continues to reap reward in my life as I am drawn to God's word and learning scriptures so that I am in a position to share His word with others at any moment and any time.

This chapter on discipline really speaks to the circumstances I am in today - as it is critically important that each day I sow the seeds that are in alignment of God's call on my life. It is not easy and there is no room for laziness. God's word tells us in Isaiah that the seeds of comfort may take root in the soil of adversity. Living without a bi-weekly paycheck, and having no real safety net in place, the only real comfort I can depend on is the knowledge that I am "found" in His word, and His love never fails. God's word, and prayer, are the vehicles that God provides to us to establish discipline in our life. No matter where you are today, or what you are doing, each one of us are called to establish discipline in our life: physical discipline to be healthy, spiritual discipline to hear God' voice and plan for our lives, financial discipline to give God our first and best, and emotional discipline so that His glory shines through us to others every day.

Additionally, discipline often requires us to pray, take action, and wait on the Lord. Isaiah 40:31 tells us that "When we wait on God, our strength is renewed, as an Eagle". Alot of each day for me now is disciplining myself to exercise, budget our money, and have my quiet time. I had to move alot out of the way - alot of distractions and excuses - out of the way to priortize these areas of my life. Even though I do not have to report into an office daily, I found that my first week working on my own still would require me to exercise early and take care of James. There was no time for laziness or procrastination. I am learning that every action, every decision, whether a big one or small, affects my entire day, which affects my week, which affects my weekend and overall - most importantly - impacts my family. In order for me to experience the joy of a fulfilled life, discipline must be established in a way that glorifies God and His word.

I am reminded of a friend of mine. She would come to the office everyday, and have a picture of herself in a swimsuit, and constantly say "Oh I wish I could look like that again". From boot camps to all sorts of diets and calorie counting, she seemed to never experience the victory that could get her back in that swimsuit. What was missing? Discipline. A routine commitment and accountability to continuing to practice the principles learned in nutrition and exercising on a daily basis...a permanent lifestyle change. I hear she is going to Zumba dance classes now. The major key to any physical goal is to carry out with discipline and stay the course - whether it be Zumba or Boot Camp. Refusing to give up, followed by determined actions - equals progress.

What are you willing to do to experience the joy of a desire fulfilled life in Christ? Where do you need discipline? In your budget? I shopped at Aldi this week for the first time. I never pinched pennies but I know that this new journey requires that I recognize that every cent counts, and I have to give the Lord the first of our finances. Isn't it ironic that now that we have much less money, we are much more willing to honor God's command to tithe and budget?

And more than anything, when you exercise discipline, stay on course with an unmovable faith focused on progress and the promises He makes in His word, because the only thing that limits His work in our life, is our underestimation of what He can do.

Had I established more discipline in my life, and stopped underestimating what God can do, I would have started this new journey a long time ago. I can not imagine how many blessings I missed out on because I chose to avoid adversity, stay comfortable, and lack discipline.

Father, we pray today that each of us will have an undeniable desire to stop underestimating what you can do through us, and that this reality will be followed by God ordained actions, and strength, bravery, and determination for our lives that can only be found in your word.

Comments

Popular Posts