The Baywatch Bounce

Hello out there!

I am at Hilton Head on vacation and really enjoying some time in God's Word. The setting is beautiful beaches with a light cool breeze and the sound of children laughing, which inspires me!

You know when you go on vacation you can always expect to see people of all different backgrounds, races, and values. You see people with different types of fashion sense and some that are still stuck in the 80's. I love to people watch! And of course, you see that beautiful woman, the perfect hair, body, and fashion. Many of us come away from vacations with really funny stories about other people.

Does it amaze you like it does me how the Lord can take some simple observation and speak to you through it with insight from His Word. We were on the beach yesterday in between a family of four to our right immersed in their iphones and ipads and on our left was a couple.  The lady was, well, you know, that perfect looking lady on the outside. She had a hop in her step and literally did the "Baywatch" run out into the ocean. I was deep in thought wondering what it must feel like to look that good, when all of the sudden, on her Baywatch bounce out of the water, she literally fell down and faceplanted into a large hole of water that she could not see. I hope I was laughing with her and not at her, but it was quite entertaining. 

And then, I started to conversate with God. Isn't that how our walk with Christ is? We put on our Baywatch bounce - we serve in the church, we put on a good show with our spouse, and we perform in our professions with the perfect steps that the world tells us we need to take to become successful.  But, eventually, there evolves a hole that we can not see and right when we think we have it all together - BAM! Faceplant right into the water. Oceans deep with mistakes, bad judgement, and misguided intentions. 

And then I realized, that trying to look fruitful, the Baywatch bounce, will not grow us in the knowledge of God. The ability to bear fruit begins in the hidden place of the heart that we have for Christ and His Word. If our feet are not rooted in the mind of Christ and His Word, then we are destined to struggle along our paths. 

We often wonder why we have such a hard time surviving. Why is volunteering and serving others and loving others the way Christ did so hard? I believe so many of us, and certainly me too, get focused on the Baywatch bounce, rather than on developing the foundation in God's Word and the Heart of Christ. What do the characteristics of your behavior and obedience reflect about the roots of your heart and the foundation of your walk? Do you keep crashing into holes that you can not see? Like exhaustion, frustration, discontentment? If your behavior is not producing endurance, patience and joy then you need to ask the Lord to show you what you need to fix in your foundation.  Ask the Lord to show you the roots of your hidden heart? 

I believe God's Word through the writings of Paul identify 3 characteristics of developing a strong foundation through BELIEF.

#1 A heart that believes "In Him All Things Hold Together" Col 2:17

#2 We have the energy and mind of Christ Col. 1:28

#3 Christ IS in you and IS ALL!

How do we build this foundation of belief? By being:

A) Rich in God's Word
B) Thankful 
C) Sharers of the message with a spirit of contentment and gratitude

Colossians 1:9-13
The place of Christ can not rule in your heart without you being rich in the Word of God.

Read all four chapters of Colossians and God will reveal to you what your eyes need to see and where your heart needs work.

Prayer:

Heavenly Father, Sovereign King, my ALL, I ask that you unveil what is hidden in my heart and show me what needs to change and where I need to grow. Lord make me more like Christ in my steps that I not labor and walk in vain but produce eternal fruit with eternal rewards. Lord build my belief that Your Word is true and Your promises are real. And that in YOU, ALL THINGS hold together. In the precious name of Jesus. Amen.


 

Comments

Popular Posts