How do you get to your future?

December 29, 2010

Appears as though I took a brief leave of absence from blogging! It is good to be back. There are many updates to provide on my ministry efforts and career path that will follow today's post. As the new year approaches, I am coming to a real cross roads - and decisions are not optional. As things slowed down during the holidays, I was blessed with alot of extra time that slowly evolved into thinking and reflection - and then a few unexpected and unforeseen circumstances.

First, I experienced relief - our family made it to Christmas without any major challenges! What an answered prayer!  Much progress was made on the ministry front that involved solidifying relationships / partnerships with Ripple of One, getting Grace Abounds Ministries on the map to speak at Our Daily Rest and Our Daily Bread and coordinating our fundraiser for the Spring. It is a tremendous joy to see the small day to day meetings and planning sessions become fruitful in such a huge way. I spend about 20 hours a week on the ministry efforts. The other 20 hours + is focusing on building a solid Aflac business to meet areas of responsibility that I left hanging when I walked away from my previous career. It was hard to believe that three months had gone by - and we literally took it day by day.

Second,  I began to slowly sink into a self - focus...that started with the reality of me quitting my career finally sinking in at Christmastime. Yes, we had made it to Christmas - but then what? What comes next? There was no real plan beyond the major goals that were to be done by Christmas - and they were so simple - take action with my own business and focus on answering God's call for me to ministry. By Christmas, the shock of letting go of the person I was, how I was defined, and how I was perceived was inevitably before me. I recently volunteered at a local charity event, and I had to give my bio. The reality set in that this pursuit of God's path and going after my dreams was really very complex. I was asked "What do you do?" And my answer was, "I am a "never at home" mom, dedicating most of my time to building a women's ministry, and I am an independent agent for Aflac." The expectation people have when they ask that question is that they will get one answer. I used to be able to give one answer - marketing person. It was far more impressive to others than my new answer. I was far more proud of that and much more confident in the former than my new answer. I was not feeling right about going from a career to this big question mark of a future when it came to others expectations. I decided that I was just going to get through the holidays and pray and just have faith that the clarity and vision would appear before me like a rainbow amidst clouds and heavy rain. So, I went into this mode of inaction - not really doing anything. What will be will be.

Third, God quickly answered my prayers to abstain from this self focus by creating circumstances that would require stepping away from myself. On December 12 I got a call that my dad's wife of many years, (do not like the phrase step mom because it implies less value than a biological mom and she is much more to me than that) has lung cancer and would have to go through invasive surgery on the 15th - and spend some time in the hospital and from there it is unknown. She is only 54 years old. In a matter of minutes, everything changed. Through God's magnificent power of healing, and answered prayer, she is doing great and her nodes appear clear so far and right now they are only calling for radiation treatment but there is a LONG way to go. I got a call from my parents that they had an Aflac cancer policy - and I knew instantly that without a doubt God has brought me down this Aflac path so that I can service my mom's claim. I can not take the surgery, treatments, and pain for her - but I can sure process her claims and get that coverage rolling for some peace of mind. My parents have witnessed the healing power of God on a level that many never are blessed to see. On average, most lung cancer patients spend 3 days in ICU. My mom spent less than 48 hours. Most lung surgery patients experience complications and longer hospital stays. My mom was at home in 6 days. Went in for surgery on a Wednesday - and was home on the following Tuesday. That is GOD folks!! I have a special prayer that I wrote and prayed for her that many of our friends and families prayed also - and there is no question this victory and protection of Lynn's health belongs to the Lord.

What a tremendous experience this has been - and it is hard to believe that all of that action - little steps day by day - have brought me into a career with Aflac that has delivered on a level for my family that was completely unforeseen and unexpected.

Fourth, the Lord has brought before us circumstances that clearly manifest the importance of living for today - and never waste time looking back. Before I got the news about my mom, I was getting into a cycle of reflection -the job I had, the coworkers I miss, the parties I missed out on, the paycheck, the security, the shopping, the status, etc. I was starting to dissolve the hope, courage, and expectation by allowing my mind to be trapped by thoughts of what I used to be, where I used to work, what I used to do...and had these circumstances not unfolded in our family - I would probably be stuck right there - not moving forward and not experiencing the joy, freedom, and blessings of the present and the future. And then I picked up into Joyce Meyer's book Never Give Up - Chapter 16 - "Never Give Up on Your Future". I realized that taking action day by day with God ordained clarity is what brought us to December, and getting into any self focus and pity and dwelling on the past and what is no longer - is going to ruin all the progress that we have made and inevitably compromise us reaching the dream God has set before our family. "Remember Lot's wife"...man that is powerful!!! Looking behind us at any time - with any energy - at any moment is destructive. I was starting to give the past too much of my time. Lot's wife lost everything when she looked back - and I realize what I am risking by doing the same. "As a man thinks, so is he" Proverbs 23:7. There is no doubt I want to avoid being where I was so I have to stop thinking about who that was - and give energy and thought only to who I am becoming according to God's purpose for our family and my life. God has called me to go forward into a great future. It is promised. Letting go of what lies behind is required. Do not even consider the things of old. Any former thing is not be thought of. "If we miss the old days long enough and keep thinking about them and talking about them, we will completely think ourselves out of the ability to enjoy today or the future" - Yes Joyce!! "Why look back and get more of what we have had when we can look forward and enjoy things too wonderful for us to even imagine?" - and the thing is - that the last three months has been too wonderful for me and my family - far beyond what I could have designed for myself - so why would I even allow myself to compromise going forward? I realize now that the way we made it to Christmas is by doing - not thinking! Isaiah 43 ' God IS DOING a new thing." Everyday because I AM doing - as HE "IS" doing will equal progress towards the fabulous future He has in store. God IS building me a ministry. God IS bringing me into business ownership.  God IS showing favor on our family and our faith in Him. God IS delivering on every promise he has made in His word. And my part is trusting that He IS no matter what I can or can not see...He IS providing for us and leading us in every situation and because we know this we are enabled to believe the best about the days to come.

When I began to pray about leaving my career, I experienced God ordained peace, wisdom and vision on many levels that I would have a great Aflac business, a marketing company, and alot of time for building this women's ministry. Because of His ability to lead us in every situation, all of these opportunities are growing in strength and support. My favorite verse has always been Jeremiah 29:11. I am so comforted by this promise - and it is still hard to believe some days that I get to do this life! All I have to do is stay the course. As long as you have hope, you will not be able to give up. I have never doubted that something amazing is going to happen. To see these opportunities come to fruition on such a major level and connected in so many ways that I could have never foreseen, but God definitely knew, teaches me the importance of staying faithful, hopeful, no matter what.

Forget resolutions for the new year - Here is my prayer commitment for 2011: Lord, please continue to give me strength to work hard, having the mind to work, taking advantage of opportunities, and embracing responsibility in the midst of total uncertainty about the outcomes. Give me undying courage to achieve what you have called me to do for my family and ministry. I pray that I will not give thought to my old failures, my old path, my old life and in every situation give thanks for the future you ARE building in us. I pray that I will not take any action or make any decision that will take me away from the God given ability to enjoy today or the future. I pray that I will not look back but only forward. Please let every step Jon and I take be towards the blessings, that I experience every blessing meant for my family, for my work, for my ministry - that you designed for us to have. I pray that I will never doubt your mercy is far greater than yesterday's mistakes. Thank you for putting this future before me. Please provide our family and our friends the spiritual energy and the strength and the grace of God to help us go forward. I pray that what we "think" is focused on your plan and will, dissolving our own temptations and selfish desires - whether it is material or emotional or physical. More of you God - and less of me.

Amen.

Happy New Year!

Comments

  1. So sorry to hear about your mother's illness but so glad to hear about God's healing power in her life! Happy New Year to you!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts