Channing Tatum and Tequila

Hi ladies and blog followers!

This morning the Lord put on my heart some convictions about some cultural things that could possibly be taking my focus off of God's path for me. I wanted to share them with you because I believe that some of you may be struggling with the same distractions that really need to be pushed out of your life. 

Scripture tells us in Romans 12:21 and Psalm 105:4 that the Lord commands us to renew our mind, and that in every moment, we need to seek Him. Well, last night while I was sitting on the couch, my husband mentioned to me that I had a "drink" at least three nights in a row. He knows that this is unlikely for me. But it really got me thinking about the possibility that alcohol is becoming a crutch for me to lean on when I am tired and overwhelmed. I even had a margarita during lunch this week.  My husband's Godly discernment really encouraged me to evaluate my behaviors. When I woke up this morning and it was on my heart, the Lord led me to a devotion in the book "Jesus Calling" about the renewing of your mind. 

If we are commanded to renew our mind to truly seek Him everyday, then what are some things that I may be looking to that move my focus away from seeking Him fully? One of the first things I thought of is that I recently watched Magic Mike...but so didn't every other woman I know? Now, would I have watched the flick if Jesus were sitting next to me giving me His plans for me that day? Very doubtful. I realized that my point of reference for what I focus on and spend my time on has to be His Word - and to renew my mind fully to seek Him means that I have to remain in His Word, or else I fall to temptations that seem based on our world's patterns to make sense and be just fine. It is spiritually impossible to participate in these patterns and love Jesus and fully seek Him. In fact, Jesus tells us that to do so is being lukewarm and its pretty harsh what Jesus says He will do to those that are lukewarm - Revelatioin 3:16 "But since you are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth!"

I also realized that if I would look to God's word everyday rather than my glass of wine, I would see His power more and feel renewed mentally, physically, and spiritually - whereas, a glass of wine, can only renew me temporarily with a slight physical change. How dare me underestimate the power of God's word and put my faith in alcohol when there is something so much more supernatural to lean on and look to. I am going to fast from wine and beer (and the bit of tequila I had in my margarita last night) beginning today.  If I am truly seeking Him, then I will long to HIGH in the Spirit believing this promise of His Word, and not high on wine or Magic Mike :) Yes, Channing Tatum is nice to look at, but the image of Jesus is where my eyes should be set so that the position of my heart is obedience and Godly character.      

Comments

Popular Posts